New Campaign Urges Used Car Buyers To 'Check It Not Regret It'
Posted: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:14
Charnwood Citizens Advice and LeicestershireTrading Standards are steering people in Charnwood in the right direction this month when it comes to buying a used car.
Dodgy second-hand cars is the most complained about product to the Citizens Advice consumer service. Nationally, the helpline receives around 6,000 complaints each month with faults being among the most common problems.
The organisations have teamed up to help people avoid buying a banger when they are looking for a second-hand car. The drive is part of a month-long campaign, launching on 4 November, at the start of National Consumer Week.
The campaign is urging people buying a used car to 'check it don't regret it' by assessing whether it is safe, legal and what it seems.
Moya Hoult, Manager of Charnwood CAB said:"Buying a second hand car can be bit of a bumpy road. Whether you have £500 or £5,000 to spend, it can be difficult to make sure the car you end up buying is in the condition as described by the dealer.""Not only can drivers find themselves out of pocket or with a string of unexpected expenses, the car could be unroadworthy or unsafe. But there are some simple steps drivers can take to make sure what they are buying is safe, legal and what it seems. Go to adviceguide.org.uk/used cars for more information."
David Bull, Head of Leicestershire County Council's Trading Standards Service said:"A second-hand car is an important purchase for most households, so it's important that you choose your vehicle carefully by checking theMOT, service history, ask if the vehicle has been written off or had a serious accident and that it is clear of any finance."It's important that second-hand car dealers do not let their customers drive away with unroadworthy vehicles, as they pose a danger to customers and other road users."
Top tips for buying a used car
- Check MOT certificate – indicates if car is roadworthy
- Check service history – shows if car has been maintained
- Check V5 registration document – shows if car is stolen
- Check if car is a write off – helps you know what you are buying
- Check finance history – ensures car doesn't have an outstanding hire purchase agreement
- Test drive and walk around check – for signs the car isn't what it seems
- Get engineer's check – shows condition of car and any hidden dangers
- Check price value guide – indicates reasonable price to pay
- Check car is not recalled – shows if car was recalled for safety reasons by manufacturer
If you have a problem with a second hand car, you can get help from Charnwood CAB by dropping in, or calling 0844 417 1025 or 03003301025 from a mobile. We also have a dedicated national helpline the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06. You could also look at our online advice service by visiting www.adviceguide.org.uk.
For more information contact:
Citizens Advice Bureau
01509 221 204
0116 305 7559
Caroline North 0116 305 6568