Be scam aware
Posted: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:49
PRESS RELEASE 14 June 2021
Citizens Advice Charnwood advise local people to be scam aware
78% of people across the East Midlands have been targeted by a scammer since January, new research by Citizens Advicehas found and 74% were concerned about the situation -
"I'm really worried about my elderly relatives and neighbours being targeted by coronavirus scams - are there any warning signs that I can tell them to look out for? What should they do if they think that something is a scam?"
Ian Dennis, Chief Officer of Citizens Advice Charnwood said:
"As life begins to unlock, it's so important we all do our bit and report anything that looks like a con when we see it. By learning how scammers operate, and helping each other understand what to look out for, we can all work together to stop fraudsters in their tracks. "
To help stop more people being fleeced by these types of scams, Citizens Advice CharnwoodandLeicestershireTrading Standards are sharing the following tips on how to spot them.
It might be a scam if:
- it seems too good to be true – for example, a holiday that's much cheaper than you'd expect
- you suspect you're not dealing with a real company – for example, if there's no postal address
- you've been pressured to transfer money quickly or in an unusual way – like by iTunes vouchers or a transfer service
- you've been asked to give away personal information like passwords or PINs
- you haven't had written confirmation of what's been agreed
If you've been scammed, Citizens Advice Charnwood advise:
- talk to your bank or card company immediately if you've handed over any financial and sensitive information or made a payment
- report offline scams, like telephone, post and doorstep, to Citizens Advice online or by calling 0808 223 1133. Report online scams to the dedicated Scams Action service either onlineor on 0808 250 5050
- report the scam to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040
Do not feel embarrassed about reporting a scam – scammers are clever and scams can happen to anyone. Reporting a scam helps track down and stop scammers.
If you would like to talk, in confidence, to one of our advisers about what has happened, ring our Local Enquiry Line on 01509 649 605 (Mon & Thu 9.30-3.00, Tues 9.30-12.00) or contact a Citizens Advice Scams Action adviser by calling 0808 250 5050 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)